Stranger Things 4 Release Date Updates, Trailers, Cast & All The Latest
6 August 2021, 14:55
Here's everything we know so far about Stranger Things 4, including when it's coming out on Netflix, the latest trailers, and who's returning to the cast.
In a brand new trailer, which you can watch at the top of this page, Netflix confirmed Stranger Things 4 will hit our screens in 2022.
The original cast is expected to be returning for season four, but more cast members and characters have been announced in the run-up.
Here's all the information you need ahead of of Stranger Things 4, from when it's coming out, who's in the cast and the latest trailer...
Stranger Things 4 trailer
On Friday 6 August, Stranger Things reminded us once again that the show is on its way – just not anytime soon – with the trailer at the top of this page.
"Eleven, are you listening?" the teaser begins, before a montage of Eleven, Will, Mike, Dustin and co taking on even more terrifying creatures plays out.
"Something's coming. It is almost here," Mike's voice can be heard saying.
A more eery Stranger Things 4 trailer dropped back at the start of May, and Eleven's 'Papa' aka the terrifying scientist who gave her her mind powers is training a bunch of kids the same way he tortured taught Eleven.
When is Stranger Things 4 coming out?
Stranger Things 4 will be released in 2022, but no specific month has yet been confirmed.
That was hard for us to find out, too.
It'll be the longest gap between two of the series after the third came out in July 2019.
Filming began in November 2019 and was planned to go ahead until August 2020, but the coronavirus situation delayed this – much like the production on most other films and TV series that were underway around the same time.
Who is in the Stranger Things 4 cast?
The cast has remained the same throughout seasons one to three, so it’s looking likely the main gang of Millie Bobby Brown (Eleven), Finn Wolfhard (Mike), Noah Schnapp (Will) and co will return for Stranger Things 4.
There will also be some new additions, following the successful introductions of Erica (Lucas’ sister) and Robin (Steve’s love interest) in the third series.
Here's who's joining the Stranger Things 4 cast:
- Amybeth McNulty, who fans might know from Anne With an E is joining the cast as Vickie, a cool band nerd who catches the attention of one of the main heroes.
- Myles Truitt will play Patrick, a Hawkins basketball star who falls victim to “shocking events.”
- Regina Ting Chen has the role of Ms. Kelly, a kind-hearted guidance counsellor.
- Grace Van Dien plays Chrissy, a Hawkins High lead cheerleader holding a dark secret .
- Robert Englund will play Victor Creel, a disturbed man imprisoned for a 1950s murder.
- Eduardo Franco will take on the role of Argyle, Jonathan's new best friend.
- Jamie Campbell Bower will play Peter Ballard, a kind man who works at a psychiatric centre.
- Sherman Augustus will have the role of Lt. Colonel Sullivan, an "intelligent no-nonsense man who believes he can put an end to the evil in Hawkins."
- Mason Dye will play Jason Carve, a rich athlete whose perfect world will fall victim to the strange happenings in Hawkins.
- Tom Wlaschiha aka Dmitri will be a smart and charming Russian prison guard.
- Nikola Djuricko will have the role of Yuri, "an unpredictable Russian smuggler."
- Joseph Quinn will play Eddie Munson, head of Dungeons and Dragons club at Hawkins High, aka the Hellfire Club.
What will happen in Stranger Things 4?
Finn Wolfhard, who plays Mike, promised the new series of Stranger Things will be the scariest yet.
He said during CBC Listen: "Every season it gets darker. Really, I will say with season threeI was like, this is the darkest season that there’ll ever be, like the exploding rats and everything.
"But really, season four so far, it’s the darkest season there’s ever been.
“Every year, it gets amped up. Every year it gets funnier and darker and sadder, and everything. Every year, they amp it up.”
And in a statement released by Netflix on Valentine's Day 2020, the streaming site promised the next instalment of Stranger Things will have a plot which is "the most frightening yet".
While Hopper must fight for his life in the Russian prisoner camp in Kamchatka, back in the States, there is set to be “a new horror” surfacing, with the description explaining “something long buried, something that connects everything.”
In 2019, while speaking to Entertainment Weekly, Matt Duffer said the next series will “open up a little bit”, meaning we could see Will, Mike, Eleven, Dustin and co take their ventures outside of Hawkins.
He said: “The biggest thing that’s going to happen is it will open up a little bit… in terms of allowing portals into areas outside of Hawkins.”
Fans were left heartbroken by the end of Stranger Things 3, after Joyce moved away with her sons Jonathan and Will and Hopper’s adopted daughter El after she was left parent-less once again when her adopted dad was seemingly killed in the explosion as they closed the portal to the Upside Down.
We now know he was captured by the Russian officers!
Where is Stranger Things 4 being filmed?
Season 4 of Stranger Things began filming in Vilnius in Lithuania, with production starting in November 2019 and wrapping on 14 February 2020, once the scenes for Hopper’s return were shot for the first trailer.
Scenes were filmed at the former century-old Lukiškes Prison and other locations in Lithuania.
Lukiškes Prison was built and began holding inmates in the early 1900s, and just ceased operations last year.
Vilnius has previously been used as the filming location for HBO’s Chernobyl, Netflix’s Young Wallander, and Tokyo Trial.
Natalia Dyer, who plays Nancy, and Maya Hawke, who stars as Robin, were also seen in March 2020 filming scenes at Berry College in Atlanta, Georgia.
In September the cast were also seen filming at the arcade, where a lot of the action went down in season 3.