Sunrise Jillionaire , Fuse ODG & Fatman Scoop Download 'Sunrise' on iTunes
13 October 2015, 16:23
A company in Nottinghamshire's been fined after a man was killed in an industrial blender.
Rettenmaier UK Manufacturing Ltd in Mansfield have been ordered to pay £200,000 after 51-year-old George Major was pulled into the machine while trying to clear it four years ago.
A report found a safety guard had been removed and it was left plugged in.
The company admitted breaching sections of the 1974 Health and Safety at Work Act and the 1999 Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations and was fined £200,000 with costs of £100,000 at Nottingham Crown Court.
HSE Inspector Samantha Farrar said: "Mr Major's death was entirely avoidable and his life was needlessly lost. The failings by Rettenmaier UK Manufacturing Ltd caused a fatality in particularly distressing circumstances.
"The absence of an effective health and safety management system, including a lack of a safe system of work for equipment isolation and lock-off, risk assessment and proper training for staff, meant that all workers at the site were at risk.
"This tragic incident could have so easily been avoided if a few simple steps had been taken by the company.''