Behind The Scenes Of Derby Arena
12 September 2013, 06:00
Work is underway on a new multi-use sporting arena that is being built near Pride Park in Derby.
Capital got a behind the scenes look at the work on the new velodrome, which is due to open in November 2014.
It's going to include:
- 250 meter indoor cycling track for track cycling ranging from big events, track leagues and for beginners to use.
- Infield sports hall: all activities that can take place in a sports hall including badminton, basketball, netball, wheelchair basketball, volleyball martial arts, table tennis, trampolining
- Fitness gym and group exercise studios
- Cultural events, exhibitions, product launches, conferences – up to 5000 people standing and sitting (1500 permanent seats)
- Cafe and bar/hospitality
- The weight of the steelwork used is equivalent to approximately 200 London Buses.
- If laid end to end the steel members used in the construction would stretch the length of a marathon.