Carbon Monoxide warning ahead of V Festival

A dad from Solihull is warning others about the dangers of a silent killer which nearly left him dead.

David Smith left a BBQ in the porch of his tent on a camping and woke up in hospital with no recollection of what happened.

It was only the quick actions of his children which saved his life, when they woke, felt groggy and realised something was wrong. They called 999 and paramedics arrived just in time.

The Carbon Monoxide fumes from the BBQ had built up in the tent, poisoning him and knocking him unconscious.

7 people have died in the last 12 months due to BBQ related carbon monoxide poisoning in tents and caravans. One of them a 14 year old girl who died in Shropshire.

Watch Commander Clive Robinson met up with Capital reporter Rob Mayor to talk about the dangers of disposable BBQ's.



You can stay safe by following these tips.

  • Never take a smouldering or lit BBQ into a tent, caravan or cabin. Even if you have finished cooking your BBQ should remain outside as it will still give off fumes for some hours after use
  • Never use a BBQ inside to keep you warm
  • Never leave a lit BBQ unattended or while sleeping
  • Place your cooking area well away from your tent. Always ensure there is an adequate supply of fresh air in the area where the BBQ is being used
  • Only use your BBQ in accordance with the operating instructions
  • Remember the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.

You can get further advice by following the links below.

Santa wages

Those People Who Dress Up As Santa In Shops At Christmas Time Probably Earn More Than Most Of Us

Snapchat Accounts Ariana Kim K Rita Ora

80+ Of The Biggest Celebrities You Really NEED To Add On Snapchat Today

Capital Metadata - Capital App March 2017

Want To Control The Music On Capital? Now You Can With Our New App - My Capital!