Dewsbury Man Denies Firearms Charges Over M62 Police Operation

7 March 2017, 11:22

M62 Huddersfield Police Incident

A driver accused of firearms offences, after his passenger was shot dead following a police operation in Huddersfield, has denied the charges.

Moshin Amin, 30, was charged after the operation on a motorway slip road near Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, during which Mohammed Yassar Yaqub was shot.

Amin pleaded not guilty at Leeds Crown Court to possessing a handgun, a silencer and ammunition with intent to endanger life.

The court heard that the defendant is accused of carrying out the offences with Mr Yaqub, who died from gunshot wounds to the chest after an Audi in which he was a passenger was stopped by police beside the M62 at Ainley Top on January 2.

Reading the details of the charges to Amin, the court clerk said:
"Together with Yassar Yaqub, on January 2 2017, you had in your possession a firearm, a handgun less than 30cm in length, with intent to endanger life or to enable another thereof to endanger life.''

She said he is also charged with possessing a sound moderator, known as a silencer, and 11 9mm rounds of ammunition with Mr Yaqub.

Amin, formerly of Dewsbury and now living in Manchester, appeared in the dock during the short hearing, wearing a white shirt, black jeans and brown loafer-style shoes.

A provisional trial date was set for December 4th and Amin was bailed to return to the court for his next hearing.


UPDATED 6th January 2017

A 30-year-old man has appeared in court charged with firearms offences following a police operation in which a man was shot dead on a motorway slip road.

Moshin Amin was arrested as part of the operation during which 28-year-old Mohammed Yassar Yaqub was shot by officers beside the M62 at Ainley Top, near Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, on Monday evening.

Amin, of Broomer Street, Dewsbury, appeared before magistrates in Leeds charged with two counts of possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life and possession of ammunition.

He appeared in the dock and spoke only to confirm his name, address and date of birth during the four-minute hearing.

Reading the details of the charges, the court clerk said Amin was charged with possessing a converted self-loading pistol, a sound moderator and 11 9mm rounds of ammunition without a firearms certificate.

District Judge Marie Mallon remanded Amin into custody to appear before Leeds Crown Court on February 3.

No application for bail was made.

Earlier, an inquest into Mr Yaqub's death was opened and adjourned at Bradford Coroner's Court.

And hundreds of mourners have attended his funeral at the Masjid Bilal mosque in Huddersfield.

A post-mortem examination showed Mr Yaqub died from gunshot wounds to the chest.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) is investigating the death.

Four men, aged 30, 37 and two aged 26, who were also arrested on Monday evening, have been released on police bail pending further inquiries.