On Air Now
The Capital Weekender With Ministry of Sound 10pm - 5am
19 August 2016, 17:08 | Updated: 19 August 2016, 17:13
A man who had to give police 24 hours' notice before he has sex with a new partner has lost his legal battle to have the restriction lifted.
John O'Neill, 45, lost his case after North Yorkshire Police argued he posed a risk to the public and should be subject to a Sexual Risk Order, despite him being acquitted of rape last year.
York Magistrates' Court heard he made a series of worrying confessions to his GP and a psychiatric nurse, including choking a woman unconscious, thinking "a lot'' about killing her and that he needed women "to be scared or I don't respond''.
District Judge Adrian Lower said the terms of the order will be amended at a future hearing.
He said the condition that he gives the police 24 hours' notice before he starts sexual contact with a new partner was "frankly unpoliceable''.
The new terms of the order will be agreed at a hearing on September 22.