Leeds Teacher Death: Neck Stab Wound Was Fatal Blow

13 May 2014, 11:18 | Updated: 30 March 2016, 13:50

An inquest into the death of Leeds teacher Ann Maguire has heard a stab wound to her neck was the one that killed her.

Teacher Ann Maguire, who was stabbed to death in her classroom in Leeds, died from 'shock and haemorrhage' following an injury to her neck that severed her jugular vein, an inquest has been told.

Mrs Maguire, 61, died after she was attacked during a Spanish lesson on April 28.

At the opening of the inquest into her death, detective chief inspector Nick Wallen, of West Yorkshire Police, said the teacher suffered a number of stab wounds but one to her neck, that severed her major vein, was the fatal injury.

Mr Wallen gave the only evidence at the seven-minute-long hearing at Leeds Coroners Court.

He told coroner David Hinchliff that the emergency services were called to the school at 11.49am on the morning of April 28.

'They were directed to the top floor modern languages department where paramedics initially attended to Mrs Ann Maguire - a teacher at the school - who was very seriously injured having been stabbed,' the officer said.

'Mrs Maguire was taken by ambulance to Leeds General Infirmary for emergency treatment.

'Sadly, she did not survive her injuries and her death was pronounced at 1.10pm.'

He told the court that Home Office pathologist Brian Roger conducted a forensic post-mortem examination on the same day at Pinderfields Hospital, in Wakefield.

'Dr Rogers established Mrs Maguire's cause of death as shock and haemorrhage,' Mr Wallen told the coroner.

'Although there were a number of stab wounds, a stab wound to her neck had severed her jugular vein and was the fatal injury.'

He said a second post-mortem examination came to the same conclusion.

Mr Hinchliff heard Mrs Maguire's body was identified by her husband, Don.

He issued a burial order and released the teacher's body so a funeral can now take place.

The coroner also asked a police family liaison officer present in court to pass his condolences on to Mrs Maguire's family.

Mr Hinchliff adjourned the inquest to a date to be fixed.

None of Mrs Maguire's family were in court.