25 Years For Baby Murderer Granddad

A man from Cwmbran has been jailed for life for the murder of his baby granddaughter.

Amelia Jones was just five weeks old when she died.

Mark Jones had been babysitting Amelia while her mum was at the cinema back in November 2012.

The court heard how the 45-year-old called his daughter, before calling for an ambulance, to say that Amelia had stopped breathing.

She died in hospital two days later from what doctors called "catastrophic brain injuries".

Experts say she'd suffered a serious blow to the head and had been violently shaken.

A post mortem examination also revealed she had multiple fractures to her ribs, legs and skull in the two weeks before she died.

DC John Crandon, from Gwent Police, read this statement outside court on behalf of Amelia's mum and dad:

“The last two years have been long and traumatic for our family, and we are relieved this day has finally come.

“No result delivered today is going to bring Amelia back; she is greatly missed by all of us.  Our children talk and ask questions about her every day.  She is, and always will be a massive part of our family and we hope she is never forgotten.

“To be let down in such an extreme way by a parent, someone you should be able to rely on and have complete trust in, only adds to making Amelia’s death all the more difficult to come to terms with.  Mark Jones is a deceitful and manipulative individual, and although it is little comfort after what we have been through, we are pleased to see justice being done today for our little girl.

“We would like to thank everyone who has supported us since Amelia’s death, as well as the Police and CPS for their hard work, and the members of the jury for patience and diligence.”

Amelia's mum - who'd spent just 41 days with her child - said her other children were scared their granddad would kill them too.

Judge Wyn Williams said Jones hadn't shown a "shred of remorse" for his "wicked and despicable" actions.

45-year-old Jones had denied murder but the jury at Newport Crown Court found him guilty.

He showed no emotion as he was told he'd spend at least 25 years behind bars and that he may never be released.

Chief Inspector Leanne Brustad led the investigation:

“Innocent baby Amelia was killed at just one month old.

“Her family have been through a traumatic time and have waited two and half years to see someone held responsible for Amelia’s death. Throughout they have shown great courage and dignity and I thank them, as well as the wider community, for their co-operation throughout the police investigation.

“No conviction will ever bring baby Amelia back but we hope her family have some sense of peace knowing the person responsible for her death is now behind bars.”