Two Men Bailed Over Winchester Murder

Detectives from Hampshire Constabulary's Major Crime Department are continuing to investigate the death of a man in Winchester.

Stuart David Horsman was taken ill at Winchester Railway Station on the morning of Wednesday, August 3, 2011. He was taken to the Royal Hampshire County Hospital for treatment.

The 34-year-old from Winchester died later that day. A post-mortem examination concluded that Mr Horsman died as a result of internal bleeding.

Two men, aged 58 and 32, from Winchester, Hampshire, were released on bail tonight (Sunday, August 7, 2011) after they had been questioned at different police stations in Hampshire over the weekend on suspicion of murdering Stuart Horsman.

The 58-year-old man from the Winchester area was arrested shortly after 9am on Saturday, August 6, 2011.

He was later bailed until November 8, 2011 pending further enquiries.

The 32-year-old man from the Winchester area was arrested shortly after 10.30am on Saturday, August 6, 2011. He was later bailed until November 15, 2011 pending further enquiries.

A police family liaison officer contacted Mr Horsman's next-of-kin this evening (Sunday, August 7) to inform them of the bail decisions.

Senior investigating officer Detective Chief Inspector Dick Pearson said:

"We have questioned two suspects extensively over the weekend about the possibility that Mr Horsman could have been assaulted in the days before he died. There are
several lines of enquiry that we will continue to pursue while these men are on bail.

"The Major Crime team and local officers have carried out leaflet drops and house-to-house enquiries in Winchester over the past three days. We're grateful to all the people and businesses that have taken time to help us with our investigation
so far.

"Our focus remains on establishing whether Mr Horsman was assaulted between Monday, July 25 and Wednesday, August 3.

"Officers still want to hear from anyone who has witnessed an assault at or near Winchester railway station recently. People who knew Mr Horsman and his recent behaviour could also have information vital to this investigation.

"We know Mr Horsman was regularly seen with friends in the underpass that runs from the taxi rank outside the station, underneath the railway itself, and out to Stockbridge Road. He was also very well known in the Winchester area."

Anyone with any information is asked to contact the Major Crime Team at Hulse Road, Southampton, quoting Operation Tabby, by phoning 101 or emailing:

From outside Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, call police on 0845 045 45 45. Mini-Com users can call the police on 01962 875000. Information can be given anonymously by calling the Crimestoppers charity on 0800 555 111.