Tribute Paid To 'Kind And Loving' Father

3 January 2017, 18:28 | Updated: 3 January 2017, 18:33


A young father who died following a disturbance near a pub in the early hours of New Year's Day has been described as a ''selfless, kind and loving'' man by his family.

Former junior footballer Shaun Woodburn, 30, was found with serious injuries in Great Junction Street, in the Leith area of Edinburgh, at around 2am on Sunday.

He was taken to the city's Royal Infirmary where he died later that day.

A 16-year-old boy has appeared in court charged with his murder.

In a statement issued via police, Mr Woodburn's family said: ''Shaun was first and foremost a fantastic and loving dad, he was a great and caring son, brother, partner and friend.

''He was a hard working young man loved by all of his colleagues and had an honours degree in architectural engineering from Heriot Watt University. Shaun also had a passion for playing football and latterly with Bonnyrigg Rose only to give up to spend more time with his family.

''That was Shaun, a selfless, kind and loving young man who has had his life cut short in the most tragic of circumstances.''

The family also thanked people for their support and asked for privacy.

The 16-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was charged with murder when he appeared in private at Edinburgh Sheriff Court on Monday.

The teenager, from the Scottish capital, also faced a second charge under the Criminal Justice Licensing (Scotland) Act.

He made no plea or declaration, was remanded in custody, and is expected to return to court in about a week.

Another teenager, 18-year-old Mohammed Zakariyah, of Edinburgh, appeared at the petition hearing to face a charge of assault to injury. He was also charged under the Criminal Justice Licensing (Scotland) Act.

He made no plea or declaration and was released on bail.

Police Scotland said they still want to speak to everyone who was in the Great Junction Street area at the time of the incident.

Detective Inspector Stuart Alexander, the officer leading the investigation, said: ''I am very keen to ensure we establish the full circumstances of what happened at the time of the incident, and also prior to incident taking place. We also wish to establish all the movements of those involved.

''It is imperative that we trace and interview everybody that was present when Shaun was attacked or was indeed in the vicinity of Gladstones Public House, Great Junction Street, or Mill Lane area of Edinburgh between 1.30am and 2am on New Year's morning.''

He added: ''For the sake of Shaun's family it is important that we find out exactly what happened and why Shaun had his life so tragically taken from him.''