TITP Prank Goes Viral

13 July 2015, 14:40 | Updated: 30 March 2016, 13:50

T in the park

A reveller at a music festival has become an unlikely internet star after he tweeted that he had been packed into a tent bag and could not escape.

Scott Johnston tweeted T in the Park organisers this morning to say he was stuck as campsites at the Perthshire venue emptied.

He said: "Hi im somewhere in green 7 someone has packed me into a tent bag for a joke and I can't get out I don't have much battery left.''

Police Scotland then tweeted: "Hi Scott please tweet us with more info if you can. We have officers with stewards in the area looking for you now.''

His initial tweet was shared more than 5,000 times.

Almost two hours later, Mr Johnston told his followers he was OK, his friends had unzipped him and he had "never been so happy to see the rain''.

However, it is understood his original tweet was a prank.

Organisers of the festival, now in its 22nd year, hailed this year's event a success despite lengthy delays and scenes of chaos as cars trying to leave the site got stuck in thick mud.

One man also died at the event, which was held on the Strathallan Castle estate for the first time.

The body of Andrew West, 36, from the North of England, was found on a campsite on Saturday afternoon.

His death is being treated as unexplained but there are not thought to be any suspicious circumstances, police said.

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds brought the curtain down on T in the Park last night.

Showers turned the site into a mud bath, but that did not dampen the spirits of tens of thousands of revellers who enjoyed dry weather and sets from artists including the Stereophonics, Paloma Faith, The View, Ella Eyre and James Bay on the final day.

Kasabian, Mark Ronson, The Libertines, George Ezra, Jessie J and Labrinth were also among the acts who played during the course of the weekend.

Organisers apologised for the delays at the site and said that lessons will be learned from this year's event.

Geoff Ellis, T in The Park festival director, said: "Overall it's been a great first year at Strathallan - the bands were brilliant, the site looked wonderful and we know that the majority of people have had a fantastic time.

"We also know traffic queues coming in and out of the drop-off points have left some people frustrated and we apologise for this because we obviously want the experience to be positive for everyone from start to finish.

"A combination of things have contributed to the delays, including the weather, but traffic is moving today and we do also need people to be patient.

"Years of infrastructure and tried and tested plans at Balado means that our audience is used to a very quick exit from the site - which is not the norm for most other major events around the country. We'll take learnings from this year and will work on improving the times for the future. We thank fans for their co-operation.

"We're also delighted to say that the site's very own high-flying birds, a family of four osprey, have been undisturbed by the festival and there has been no change in their behaviour during the event.''

RSPB Scotland said it was pleased the birds had not been disturbed.

A spokesman said: "The ospreys were closely monitored over the weekend and both adult birds are still present at the nest site with their chicks, and behaving normally.

"The package of measures stipulated in the planning consent, which RSPB Scotland called for, including changes to the festival site layout, introduction of buffer zones around the nest and restrictions on activities including fireworks and lighting, all appear to have been successful in preventing disturbance to the birds.

"However, the event isn't completely over yet. It's extremely important that sensitive management of the site is maintained during the clean-up operation. When this is concluded, the festival needs to be thoroughly reviewed before it can proceed in 2016.''

Police said there were 54 arrests at the event this year.

Superintendent Colin Brown said: "T in the Park draws to a close for another year and we'd like to thank fans for behaving responsibly.

"There have been 54 arrests, similar to last year's event and, whilst some of these have been for more serious offences, we have been helped by festival-goers providing information to our officers, resulting in a majority of those crimes being detected or having positive lines of inquiry being followed.''

The Scottish Ambulance Service said 700 people visited the hospital tent this year, a significantly lower level than last year when 980 people visited it.

Nick Moore, of the Scottish Ambulance Service, said: "We mainly treated festival-goers for minor, weather- related ailments and sprains and strains. Thanks to everyone who took our advice and came prepared for this year's festival.''