Family Tribute to Wigan Dad

25 June 2012, 16:20 | Updated: 30 March 2016, 13:50

The family of a Wigan dad, who died after he was found unconsciousness on father’s day, say they “cannot understand why this tragedy happened.”

Police are now treating the death of 56 year old Francis Farrell as murder.

Francis was found with a head injury at around 4.10am on Sunday 17 June, on Frog Lane, Wigan.

He suffered a serious head injury. He was taken to hospital for treatment, where he died the following Wednesday.

A post mortem examination has now revealed that Francis died as a result of a head injury.

In a statement, Francis's family said:

“Francis was a good son, brother and uncle. He kept himself to himself and was a quiet person. Francis lived his life how he wished and would cause no harm to anyone.

“We as a family cannot understand why this tragedy has happened.

“If anyone has any information big or small please come forward to give our family closure.

“We would also like to thank everyone for everything that was done for Francis whilst he was in hospital and for the many cards and thoughts of condolence that we have received.

“Francis son and grandson have both said how much they are missing him."

Francis had been drinking in different pubs in Wigan town centre on the Saturday evening into the early hours of Sunday, the day he died.

He was last seen leaving Wiend Bar in Wigan town centre at about 3.50am. He was then seen on CCTV walking down Frog Lane at 3.58am and a passerby who found him called the ambulance service at about 4.10am.

Detective Chief Inspector Joanne Rawlinson, said: “Francis was a 56 year-old man, who was much loved by his family and friends.

"He was attacked on Sunday 17 June, Fathers Day, while minding his own business on his way home after enjoying an evening out in Wigan town centre

"Whoever is responsible left him injured, unconscious and lying half in the road on Frog Lane.

"I believe that someone out there knows exactly how Francis came by his injuries that night. I would urge them to think about what Francis's family are going through, and to call me with whatever information they have.

A 35-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of assault. He has been bailed until 19 July pending further inquires.