West Midlands Police Officer Guilty Of Hoax Kidnap Plot

3 May 2016, 19:40 | Updated: 3 May 2016, 20:05

A West Midlands Police officer who sparked a major security alert when he made a hoax 999 call has been found guilty.

Amar Tasaddiq Hussain, aged 29 from Birmingham, admitted making the anonymous hoax call to West Midlands Police on 8 December 2014.

Hussain gave the 999 operator information which suggested a Muslim police officer was about to be kidnapped in the force area.

The hoax call led the force to put a negotiator on standby 24 hours a day and officers were made to travel to and from work out of uniform.

A man was arrested within a day of the call being made and West Midlands Police say "the information given to the control room was considered credible and police acted swiftly to protect officers and staff."

But it soon became clear the arrested man was innocent and the man really behind the call was Amar Tassaiq Hussain.

He was arrested on 8 September 2015 along with two other men from the city – Adil Bashir, 26, and Muhammad Ali Sheikh, aged 31.

All three were subsequently charged with two counts of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice between 30 June 2014 and 15 December 2014.

Police say the he plot started because the three men were intent on undermining their colleagues from an Islamic community organisation which they were all members of.

In police interviews Hussain refused to comment on questions put to him by detectives; however shortly before the trial - at Stafford Crown Court - he admitted making the December 999 call.

PC Hussain, who is currently suspended, has seven years’ service within the force and is based at Birmingham West and Central local policing unit.

The impact of the anonymous 999 call for West Midlands Police was extensive; representatives for the Police Federation said: “The concern felt by officers was widespread and long lasting, affecting not just police office but all police employees and their families.”

Police records showed that while on duty Hussain tried to access the police logs that had been created following the September and December calls. Expert voice analysis of those calls to police revealed they were made by Bashir and Hussain respectively.

Bashir and Sheikh bought a phone with money given to them by Hussain so they were able to send a message via WhatsApp to further discredit colleagues from their Islamic community organisation.

Assistant Chief Constable Marcus Beale said: “Hussain has not only let down West Midlands Police, he has also let down the peaceful organisation, non-political organisation that he was part of.

“The impact of the threat had a huge effect on officers and staff and in turn on their loved ones.

“Never before have we had to instruct officers and staff to call in after their tour of duty to let us know they had returned home safely.

“We also had to ensure other forces and key partners were fully aware and that we kept our communities as updated as we could; in some cases dispelling rumours that we had taken officers off the streets of the West Midlands.

“West Midlands Police expects the highest standards of those who work in the organisation and the vast majority of officers and staff uphold these high standards.

“There is absolutely no place in policing for those who abuse the trust placed in us by the public.”

All three were remanded in custody for sentencing on 27 May.