Police Warn Of Ecstasy Dangers After Two Teenage Deaths
1 July 2019, 16:09 | Updated: 1 July 2019, 16:14
Police are highlighting the dangers of taking drugs after two teenagers died over the weekend, one in the West Midlands.
Police have warned of the dangers of drug-taking following the deaths of two teenagers at the weekend.
Harley Girven, 19, died suddenly in the Isle of Wight on Saturday, while a 17-year-old boy suffered a cardiac arrest after an unconnected incident in Stratford-upon-Avon on Sunday.
Mr Girven, also known as Harley Mason, was found dead by police at his flat in Pomona Road, Shanklin.
A Hampshire Police spokesman said detectives were treating the death of Mr Girven, who was a wheelchair user, as "unexplained".
The force warned of the dangers of a blue ecstasy pill known as the "punisher" after the sudden death.
The spokesman said: "As a consequence of the teenager's death, police are reminding people of the dangers of taking illegal drugs and in particular a blue triangular ecstasy/MDMA tablet known as 'punisher', which is known to be around three times stronger than other ecstasy tablets."
A 16-year-old girl from East Cowes and a 17-year-old boy from Newport, who were in the flat when police and ambulance staff arrived, were arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply class A and B drugs but have since been released under investigation.
Their arrests are not directly connected with the death.
A post-mortem examination is due to be carried out on Wednesday to establish a cause of death.
Mr Girven's family paid tribute to him, saying: "Our boy Harley; a fun and lovable son, grandson, nephew, cousin and friend to so many.
"We will remember you for your sharp sense of humour and unique take on the world, that sought to challenge you in so many ways, that others may never know.
"A courageous man with love in your heart, who will always be so much to so many.
"Now free of your pain, run free from your wheels, to your brother Mikey, who we all know will be waiting. You will be forever in our hearts."
Warwickshire Police said officers were called to a property in Wetherby Way, Stratford, where it is believed five boys took a type of MDMA called Mandy.
One died, while the four other teenage boys who were taken to hospital have since been discharged, the force said.
Two 17-year-old boys have been arrested on suspicion of possession of class A drugs with intent to supply.
Police said one of the suspects, from Bidford-on-Avon, remains in custody and the other, from Stratford, has been released under investigation.
Detective Inspector Lisa Sears from Warwickshire Police said: "Our thoughts are with the family of the deceased.
"At this time, we believe the boys may have taken a type of a drug called Mandy, a type of MDMA - also known as ecstasy.
"We are keeping an open mind as to whether this was a bad batch of drugs, a bad reaction or an overdose."
Ms Sears added: "While we are investigating to establish how the boy died we would urge local drug users to be very cautious.
"While we can't yet confirm cause of death, we would like to remind people of the dangers of taking drugs.
"There is no safe way of taking drugs and no way of knowing exactly what you are putting into your body and whether it is safe."