On Air Now
The Capital Weekender With Ministry of Sound 10pm - 6am
11 March 2014, 07:35 | Updated: 30 March 2016, 13:50
The headteacher of a Hampshire school is calling for defibrillators to be more widely used, after teachers there used one to save the life of a pupil who collapsed.
16-year-old Sam Mangoro had a heart attack during a PE lesson at Mountbatten School in Romsey last Thursday (6 March). Staff used a defibrillator straight after, before paramedics arrive.
Headteacher Heather McIlroy said:
"He appeared to faint but it almost happened in slow-motion. In actual fact, he had collapsed.
"A doctor told Sam's parents and me it was the rapid action of the staff that meant he would have the best possible outcome. If we hadn't had the defibrillator, it would have been a completely different outcome for Sam.
"Sam had to be shocked four times, which was highly unusual and reflects how serious the situation was.
"I can't believe defibrillators aren't mandatory in every school, leisure centre, library and workplace. They cost about £800, the training is very short and straightforward. Why would you not have one?"
Sam was put into a medically induced coma, but is awake again and understood to be recovering.