Portsmouth Attacks: Teenager Remanded In Custody

16 July 2014, 12:47 | Updated: 30 March 2016, 13:50

A 17-year-old boy charged with three counts of attempted murder and possession of a bladed article appeared at Fareham youth court this morning (Wednesday, July 16).

He was remanded in custody and is due to appear at Winchester Crown court on Wednesday, July 30.
The charge follows three assaults on women in the north of Portsmouth on June 20, June 29 and July 11. Two were stabbed in the chest in Hilsea and Cosham and one was attacked in an alleyway in Cosham.
The 17-year-old youth from the Hilsea area of Portsmouth, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is charged with three counts of attempted murder and possession of a bladed article.

Detective Superintendent Victoria Dennis, the senior investigating officer said:

"I would like to thank the public for their support with our investigation and we are grateful for the considerable co-operation and understanding of local residents during a difficult time for the community. 

"I hope that we have been able to support the victims and their families in coping with the affect of the assaults."
A Hampshire Constabulary statement said:

"We would like to thank all of the partner agencies involved in this investigation for their tremendous and dedicated support.
"Increased high-visibility police patrols in Portsmouth will continue so we can provide reassurance and factual updates to the public.
"A whole range of expertise and experience from teams across Hampshire Constabulary has worked together as one team on this case.
"We have been persistent in gathering and analysing evidence that has enabled us to charge a suspect to appear before the courts.
"Our advice to the public in Portsmouth is take care, remain alert, and report any suspicious behaviour by phoning 101 – or 999 in an emergency."
The first assault took place at around 10.40pm on Friday 20 June 2014, when a 20-year-old woman was walking along Southampton Road, opposite a block of flats on Ashurst Road, when she was approached from behind and assaulted. She received a stab injury to the chest, which was serious but not life-threatening.

In the second incident shortly after 11am on Sunday 29 June, a 45-year-old woman was approached by a man along the shoreline of Ports Creek in Hilsea (to the east of the footbridge which crosses from Peronne Road to the Highbury estate).  The man carried out an assault, resulting in the woman sustaining a stab wound to her chest.  The man ran off towards Hilsea Lines.

Police were called to the third incident shortly after 1pm on Friday 11 July to a report of an assault by a man on a 66-year-old woman who was walking in an alleyway between Colwell Road and Northern Road in Cosham. The woman is recovering at home with her family.

Detectives are taking no further action against a first man arrested in connection with the assaults. The 30-year-old man from Waterlooville, who was arrested on Friday 11 July, was released without charge from police custody on Monday 14 July.

After extensive enquiries, Hampshire Constabulary is satisfied that this man was not responsible for any of the three assaults in Portsmouth.