On Air Now
The Capital Late Show With Marvin Humes 10pm - 1am
16 June 2014, 13:34 | Updated: 30 March 2016, 13:50
The people living at the house on Shirley Avenue came home on Sunday night to find a cushion had been set on fire on the hob.
At around 7.45pm on Sunday, June 15 the occupants of an address on Shirley Avenue returned home to find their fire alarm sounding.
They opened the front door, and when they saw smoke, they shut the door and called emergency services.
The fire was contained in the kitchen and there was smoke damage in the rest of the house. Detective Constable Lucy Stewart, said:
"The incident occurred at some time between 4pm and the time when the family got home to find the fire. It appears that a sofa cushion was placed on the gas hob and the hob turned on, causing the fire.
"This was a very serious and dangerous incident; it is extremely lucky that no-one was hurt.
"I am appealing for anyone with any information about this incident to come forward and speak to us, to help us find the person or people responsible."
Anyone with any information is asked to contact DC Stewart, at Shirley police station by calling 101 or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, where information can be left anonymously.