Victory Parade As Police Investigate Trouble

22 May 2016, 07:25 | Updated: 22 May 2016, 07:29

Hibernian players will make a victory parade through Edinburgh today following the team's historic Scottish Cup win.

Saturday's match at Hampden Park was marred by a pitch invasion and disorder between fans after Hibs scored in injury time to beat Rangers 3-2.

The Scottish Football Association (SFA) said it was "appalled'' by the scenes and an investigation is under way with police and stadium management to establish how hundreds of fans were able to get onto the turf.

Jubilant Hibs supporters are expected to line the streets of the capital later to see their triumphant team on an open-top bus tour.

The Easter Road side have been invited to a reception with the Lord Provost Donald Wilson to thank them for bringing home the Scottish Cup for the first time since 1902.

The parade will see players board a gold open-top bus with the Scottish Cup at the Lothian Chambers before heading down the High Street and on towards Leith, culminating at Leith Links.

The route of the parade is: Lawnmarket – High Street – North Bridge – Princes St – Leith St – Picardy Place – Leith Walk – Constitution Street – Queen Charlotte St – John’s Place – Duncan Place – Leith Links.


Mr Wilson said: "No matter what colour scarf you wear or where you live, I'm sure all football fans in the city will recognise this is a time for celebration.''

Following the reception at Lothian Chambers players will board a gold open-top bus and head down the High Street and on towards Leith Links.

Mounted police officers were called in to restore order after what the SFA described as "contemptible behaviour'' from some fans following the final whistle.

Rangers said players and staff were assaulted by Hibs supporters and the side did not return to the pitch to be presented with their runners-up medals.

Parts of the national stadium's turf was ripped up and goal posts were broken by people climbing on them.

Police Scotland said it is working to identify those involved in disorder and violence at the match.

Chief Superintendent Kenny MacDonald said: "We understand that feelings run high at these events and fans want to celebrate their team's win, however the reckless behaviour of fans entering the pitch is totally unacceptable and inexcusable. This created a significant safety issue.''

Hibs chairman and SFA president Rod Petrie said he was sorry that the "over-exuberance'' of fans after the 114-year trophy wait had taken them onto the pitch.

He said: ''I am not aware of a complaint but if something has happened to a (Rangers) player or member of staff, that is a very serious matter and we will co-operate fully.

''I fully expect there will be a detailed examination of what has happened to learn the lessons and we are ready to contribute to that.``