On Air Now
The Capital Evening Show with Jimmy Hill 7pm - 10pm
13 May 2019, 16:23
Two men reported to prosecutors after a paragliding protest during Donald Trump's stay at Turnberry will face no criminal proceedings.
A banner reading "Trump: Well Below Par" was flown from an aircraft shortly after the US president arrived at his South Ayrshire hotel on July 13 last year.
A 55-year-old man was subsequently arrested, charged and released pending further inquiries.
In November, police said a 35-year-old man had been reported to the procurator fiscal in connection with the incident.
It emerged on Monday they will face no criminal proceedings.
A Crown Office spokesman said: "The procurator fiscal deals with every case on its own individual facts and circumstances, and will take action where there is sufficient evidence and it is in the public interest to do so.
"Following full and careful consideration of the facts and circumstances of this case, Crown Counsel instructed that there should be no criminal proceedings at this time.
"The Crown reserves the right to proceed in the future should further evidence become available."
During the private leg of his four-day visit to the UK, Mr Trump and his wife Melania stayed at the Trump Turnberry resort.
Figures obtained by the Press Association revealed the £14.2 million cost of policing the visit in which he met the Queen at Windsor Castle and was hosted by Prime Minister Theresa May.