Students Unaware Of Carbon Monoxide Poison Symptoms - Poll

2 November 2017, 06:32

Carbon Monoxide

Many university students do not know the main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, leaving them at risk from the "silent killer", it has been suggested.

UK students are around twice as likely to put the main indicators of exposure to the colourless, odourless and tasteless gas - which include dizziness, headaches and nausea - down to a hangover or the flu, according to a poll.

The survey, which questioned 1,000 students living in rented accommodation, found that just over half (54%) said that they did not have, or did not know if they had a carbon monoxide detector in their home.

Just over two in five (42%) said that they checked if there was an detector when they moved in, while 88% said that they checked for a smoke alarm.

More than half (56%) said they do not think they know the main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Over eight in 10 (85%) said that they would attribute waking up with a headache, dizziness or nausea down to a hangover, and the same proportion said they would think they had the flu or a cold.

In comparison, less than half (45%) said that they might attribute these symptoms to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Abbie Sampson, director of external affairs at Energy UK, which conducted the poll as part of the CO Be Alarmed! campaign, said: "It is shocking that over half of UK university students in rented accommodation are at risk from the silent killer.

"You cannot see, smell or taste carbon monoxide. That's why it is so important to have an audible carbon monoxide alarm fitted."

"I urge all students to follow our simple ABC checklist - make sure you have an Alarm fitted, test the Batteries and make sure you have an up-to-date gas Check."

:: The OnePoll survey questioned 1,000 UK university students living in rented, private accommodation, between October 10 and 19.