Driver Suspended Over 'Runaway Bus' Crash

First Bus Hampshire

A bus driver has been suspended after his "runaway'' vehicle caused chaos in Glasgow city centre, ploughing into other vehicles and injuring two people.

The two men were taken to hospital after the incident in Renfield Street, between West George Street and St Vincent Street, just before 4pm on Monday.

Witness Arran Watkins said he saw the driver get out of the vehicle, which is understood to have been empty, to visit a newsagent's and chase after it when it started to roll.

Mr Watkins, managing director of AW Painters and Decorators, said: "When a bus stops it normally makes a hissing noise and then it lowers itself, but in this case, the bus didn't do that.

"The driver ran into a newsagent's and the bus started rolling down the hill.

"He chased after it, but the bus hit a blue Renault Twingo which was then smashed forward and hit a pedestrian.

"He was about 18 years old.

"Another pedestrian gave him first aid and then the emergency services turned up.

"The boy was lying on the ground and he was still conscious from what I could see.''

A First Glasgow spokesman confirmed one of the firm's vehicles was involved in the incident.

He said: "As per our procedures the driver concerned has been relieved of his duties while we undertake a detailed investigation.

"It's too early to speculate on the cause of the incident. However, we've launched an immediate investigation and will work closely with the emergency authorities to determine exactly what happened.

"Our thoughts at this time are with the two men who were injured as a result of the incident.''

A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: "Around 3.45pm, police received a report of a bus having struck a male pedestrian on Renfield Street near to West George Street, Glasgow.

"The car moved forward and struck a pedestrian on Renfield Street.

"The bus continued to travel on Renfield Street before it collided with a stationary bus near to St Vincent Street, which then nudged into another stationary bus on Renfield Street.

"Two men have been taken to the Glasgow Royal Infirmary for treatment to injuries.''

Renfield Street was initially closed, leading to major city centre congestion, but later reopened.