Body In Middlesbrough Well Identified

6 November 2013, 17:58 | Updated: 30 March 2016, 13:50

The body of a man discovered in a storm well in Middlesbrough has been identified.

Updated 6th November 2013

Rimpal Kumar was spotted by workers at a Northumbrian Water treatment works at Cargo Fleet Lane, Middlesbrough, last month.

The police and fire brigade were called and his body was recovered.

Today Cleveland Police have said the 38-year-old, originally from India, had been living in Birmingham for a number of years.

He was last seen by friends in the Linthorpe area of Middlesbrough around 7pm when he went missing on October 15th.

He was wearing a light grey t-shirt and tracksuit top, dark blue track suit bottoms and white pump-style trainers. Police are appealing for anyone who saw Mr Kumar anytime on or after Sunday, August 25th, to get in touch.

A post mortem examination concluded that he had been dead for a minimum of three weeks, but possibly up to three months.

His death is being treated as unexplained.

Updated 21st October 2013

Mystery surrounds the discovery of a body in a storm drain in Middlesbrough after it emerged it could've been there for 3 months.

At around 11:45am on Monday 14th October, workers from Northumbrian Water reported seeing what they thought was a body inside a storm wet well at the Cargo Fleet Pumping Station in Middlesbrough.

Officers attended the scene and called on assistance from Cleveland Fire Brigade, but due to levels of rainfall were unable to locate a body.

After safety conditions were assessed the search continued on Tuesday 15th October and at around 12:48pm the body of a man was recovered by Cleveland Fire Brigade.

A post mortem has taken place, which indicated that the man had been dead for a minimum of three weeks but possibly up to three months.

The cause of death was inconclusive and further tests are to be carried out.

There has been no reports of missing people in the Cleveland Police area within the timescales described who have not been found.

Officers have yet to identify the man, who is said to be above the age of 21, and are treating his death as unexplained.

An investigation has begun into who the man is, how he died and the circumstances around his death.

There is currently no match to the man's DNA on the national police database.

Officers are currently approaching forces individually to try and identify him.