Man Dies After Being Hit By Police Car

8 January 2012, 07:06 | Updated: 30 March 2016, 13:50

A man's died after being hit by a police car on Whiteleas Way in South Shields

At 10.29pm on Saturday, January 7th, a police vehicle was involved in a collision with a pedestrian in Whitleas Way in South Shields.

The police car was responding to an emergency incident where police say 'life was considered to be at risk' when the collision occurred.

50-year-old Vincent Gibson from Shaw Avenue in South Shields was taken to South Tyneside hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The driver of the police vehicle and a front seat passenger, both police officers, were taken to hospital with minor injuries. 

They've both since been released from hospital.

Northumbria Police has notified the IPCC - this is normal protocol as the incident involved a police vehicle. 

They are making an assessment of evidence and will decide on further action. 

Durham Police will oversee the initial stages of the enquiry.

Witness Appeal
Officers investigating the collision are appealing for passengers on a bus that was in the area around the time of the collision to contact them.

Police want to trace and speak to anyone who was on the number 17 Stagecoach bus and may have got  off the bus at the Whiteleas Way, Nevison Avenue or Whiteleas Way shops.

The bus was in the area between 10:23pm and 10:30pm and officers would like to speak to anyone who was on the bus or may have any information that could help police with their enquiries into the collision.

Anyone with information should contact police on 101 ext 69191.

South Tyneside Area Commander Chief Superintendent Ian Dawes said:
"Our thoughts and condolences are with the deceased's family at this very difficult time.

This is a tragic incident and we are doing all we can to support the family of the deceased and the wider community in the area.

Extra officers are out in the Whiteleas Way on patrol today to speak to residents and offer any support that is needed.

We are also supporting the officers involved in the collision who have been understandably left shaken by what has happened.

All the circumstances around the collision are currently being looked at by the IPCC, with the help of senior officers from Durham police force, to ensure that they are being investigated independently.

We know that when incidents like this happen it can cause concern to the public but I want to reassure people that Northumbria police drivers are fully aware of their responsibilities in responding safely to and attending emergency calls."