Wigan Girl Dead in Suspected Dog Attack

26 March 2013, 18:16 | Updated: 30 March 2016, 13:50

A 14 year old girl has been found dead in a house in Wigan where police also found five dogs “aggressive and out of control”.

A teenage girl thought to have been mauled by "aggressive and out of control'' dogs in Wigan has been named by sources as Jade Anderson.

The 14-year-old's body was found at a house in Chaucer Grove, Atherton, following reports she was unconscious and a number of dogs were out of control.

Armed police officers destroyed four of the animals, thought to be two bull mastiffs and two Staffordshire bull terriers, while a fifth was contained, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said.

Superintendent Mark Kenny said the teenager's injuries were "consistent with her having been attacked by dogs''.

Police said the girl was believed to have been visiting the address and nobody else was present. All five dogs were at the address.

Mr Kenny added: "First and foremost, our thoughts are with the family of the girl who has tragically lost her life. Specialist officers are offering them every support.

"While our inquiries to find out what happened are ongoing, this girl's injuries are consistent with her having been attacked by dogs.

"I understand this is an extremely distressing incident for all concerned, including the community, and we will work hard to establish the full circumstances that lead to this tragedy.

"There will be a significant police presence in the area, which will remain this evening. We will be there to carry out an investigation and address any concerns residents may have.''

A post-mortem examination to establish how Jade died is expected to take place later.

The dogs' remains will also be examined as part of the investigation, police said.

Neighbour Kenneth Lindsay said he heard gun shots being fired.

"I just heard gun shots. It was going on without me realising it,'' he told ITV News.

"When I heard the gun shots I came out of the door. There was a policeman talking to people.''

He added: "I went down... to see what it was all about and the policeman shouted at me to get back inside and stay inside.''