On Air Now
The Capital Weekender with Ministry Of Sound 10pm - 5am
Twelve Alsatians - including 8 puppies - have died in a barn fire in Rochdale.
Firefighters were called to Holly Holding Farm on Manchester Road, Heywood, at about 2:20am on Thursday.
More than 20 attended, and tackled the fire in the single-storey building used for the breeding of dogs.
The fire service is not treating the blaze as suspicious, with the likely source a lamp which had been left on to keep the puppies warm.
Watch Manager, Neil Fox, said: "They were breeding them in the barn and they were all young dogs so it was a real shame.
"They had a portable infrared heater keeping them warm and it looks like that was the cause."
"Electric heaters can be a fire hazard so never leave them unattended, stand them where they could be knocked over or sit too close to them.
"Make sure heaters are always guarded and never try to move a portable heater while it is alight or switched on."