On Air Now
The Capital Late Show With Marvin Humes 10pm - 1am
23 June 2012, 23:41 | Updated: 30 March 2016, 13:50
· Today the Relay will travel 121.35 miles
· 151 Torchbearers will carry the Flame
· It will travel through 22 communities in total: Salford, Trafford, Moss Side, Rusholme, Longsight, Levenshulme, Stockport, Ashton-under-Lyne, Oldham, Marsh, Huddersfield, Brighouse, Halifax, Bradford, Keighley, Skipton, Ilkley, Headingley, Potternewton, Harehills, Richmond Hill and Leeds.
· The first Torchbearer of the day, 23 year old Shanaze Reade, will start the relay from Manchester's Media City at 5:59am. Shanaze is a BMX racer who has won six world titles across BMX and track cycling and has competed at her first Olympics in Beijing. She has worked tirelessly mentoring young people looking to sport for both support and enjoyment.
· At 6.23am Sir Bobby Charlton will carry the Flame up Sir Matt Busby Way to the front of Old Trafford. Sir Bobby was a member of the England World Cup winning side in 1966 and was also won the Ballon d'Or for European Footballer of the Year in the same year. He played the majority of his football career at Manchester United during which he won a number of titles including the European Cup. He will pause in front of the iconic Trinity statue, which depicts United's 'Holy Trinity' of himself, George Best and Denis Law and then in front of the statue of Sir Matt Busby
· Tonight's Evening Celebration will take place in Leeds at Temple Newsam