Manchester Judo Star Faces Jail Over Riots
17 August 2011, 14:05 | Updated: 30 March 2016, 13:50
A Manchester judo star, who was part of the British team, faces jail after taking part in looting during last week's riots.
Anthony Lloyd, 17, was found by police with his pockets ``bulging'' with stolen cigarettes and jewellery.
Lloyd, of Hanover Street South, Audenshaw, Greater Manchester, indicated a guilty plea to burglary of a non-dwelling property and handling stolen goods.
Kathryn Eccles, prosecuting, told the court Lloyd was stopped by police at 9.30pm at the height of the disorder which struck the city on August 9.
She said officers noticed his pockets 'bulging' and ordered a search which recovered £66 worth of cigarettes and a quantity of jewellery.
Lloyd, whose social worker father and nurse mother supported him in court, admitted he had taken the cigarettes from a newsagent which had been attacked by others.
Miss Eccles added he found the jewellery on the ground where it was left after being looted by somebody else.
Estelle Parkhouse, defending, told District Judge Jonathan Taafe that Lloyd was part of the British Judo team and was returning from training that Tuesday night when he heard about the disorder and ventured into the city centre.
The solicitor added that the defendant had overcome some emotional difficulties and dyslexia but was studying for a sports science diploma at Manchester College, Miss Parkhouse said:
'Here we have a man who is from a good family and has never been before the courts before,'
'He had finished training that night and ventured into the city centre out of curiosity.
'He took the jewellery that he had seen on the street, he knew it had been stolen and it was his intention to give it to his girlfriend.'
Remanding him in custody, Judge Taafe told the defendant: 'It is a tragedy because you are a bright boy with a bright future ahead of you.
'The court will have at the forefront of its mind a deterrent sentence and that includes the possibility of custody.'
Lloyd will be sentenced by magistrates on September 6.