Arrests Ten Years After Boy Killed In Chorlton

29 October 2013, 08:38 | Updated: 30 March 2016, 13:50

Police investigating the death of a boy, who was knocked down and killed by a car in Chorlton more than 10 years ago, have made three arrests.

The arrests follow a public appeal for information in February on the 10th anniversary of five year old Sam Walker's death.

A 33-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving, a 31-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of perverting the course of justice and perjury and a 56-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of perjury.

All three remain in police custody for questioning.

Sergeant Lee Westhead from the Serious Collision Investigation Unit said:
"I have always maintained that the answers to the circumstances surrounding Samuel's death lay within the community and I would like to thank the witnesses that have come forward so far.

It has moved the investigation along and has enabled us to make these arrests today.

After our appeal in February, a significant person contacted the police with information about the driver responsible and other events that day.

I would ask that person to please contact us again. I would be very interested to speak to them, anonymously if necessary, as I believe they hold vital information.

I continue to appeal to anyone else who saw what happened that day or anyone who has any information about the incident to come and speak to us. ?You can make a difference. You can help send out a message that communities will not be silenced about wrongdoing in the areas where they live and raise their children.

It is clear that the community of Chorlton cum Hardy want to end the suffering of Samuel's family. They have endured enough. The cowards involved have hidden for too long and it is time to end this."

Just after 1pm on Sunday 9 February 2003, five-year-old Sam Walker was crossing Hardy Lane with his mum, sister and cousin when a silver Mitsubishi Gallant came towards them from the direction of Barlow Moor Road.

The car avoided his mum and the two girls but struck Sam, killing him. The car did not stop.

Witnesses at the time saw the car go left and along Burrows Avenue.

The Mitsubishi turned right into Hardcastle Avenue and left into Darley Avenue. It then turned right into Maitland Avenue before it travelled through the Merseybank estate.

At Riverside Avenue the Mitsubishi mounted the pavement and drove down the footpath towards Princess Parkway.

At that point the driver abandoned the car and was seen running away from the car across Princess Parkway.

The driver of the car was described as a black man aged between 18 and 21.

At 4pm, three hours after Sam was knocked down, the silver Mitsubishi Gallant (registration plate J722 BUY) was reported stolen.

The owner stated the car was stolen at around 12.15pm, less than an hour before the collision, on Yew Tree Road in Fallowfield while he made a phone call from a public phone box on Wilbraham Road.

A £20,000 reward is being offered to anyone who comes forward with information leading to the identification and conviction of the driver responsible.