Man Admits Notts Hit And Run

21 December 2011, 16:45 | Updated: 30 March 2016, 13:50

A man has pleaded guilty to seriously injuring a Special Constable in a hit and run in Nottingham city centre.

Lee Ashton, of Mosswood Crescent, Bestwood, Nottingham, appeared at Nottingham Crown Court today, where he admitted grievous bodily harm, common assault, driving while disqualified and dangerous driving.

The 24-year-old has been remanded in custody and is due to be sentenced on 23 January 2012.

The incident happened at about 2.30am on Sunday 13 November 2011 when Special Constable Carly Henfrey was on foot and responding to an altercation involving a group of men in Shakespeare Street.
As she approached the men, the group dispersed and the volunteer officer found herself in the path of an oncoming car being driven by Ashton. SC Henfrey was hit by the vehicle which was later found abandoned in nearby Peel Street. Officers investigating the incident arrested Ashton in Linby at 10pm that day. SC Henfrey's leg was broken in three places and spent four days undergoing treatment at the Queens Medical Centre, which included having a metal rod inserted into her shin.

The 27-year-old signed-up to become a volunteer officer last year and juggles shifts around her full-time job with a finance company in Chilwell.
She is based at Central Police Station and despite her ordeal has been determined to return to her role as Special Constable as soon as possible.

SC Henfrey has returned to her full-time job and is hoping to be able to rejoin her section at Central Police Station early next year.
She said: "I  really love the job and can't wait to get back out there. I'm not going to let this incident stop me from doing something I really enjoy. On the day of the incident I remember running across the road to where an altercation was happening. I then heard the tyres of a car screech and found myself in the path of the vehicle. As it hit me, I rolled across the top of the bonnet and must have shut my eyes because then all I can remember is being sat upright in the middle of the road with my leg visibly broken in front of me.

"The messages of support I received during my recovery, from not only my colleagues but also from members of the public, were overwhelming and I want to thank everyone for their kind thoughts."