On Air Now
The Capital Weekender With Ministry of Sound 10pm - 5am
24 March 2016, 13:56 | Updated: 30 March 2016, 13:50
He was found unanimously guilty of 17 offences - including rape- at Nottingham Crown Court
UPDATE 24TH MARCH:
Today (Thursday 24th March) Nottinghamshire County Council issued a full apology to the victims of Logins.
Diane Hawley from Support for Survivors tells Capital she's happy Nottinghamshire County Council has apologised for allowing Andris Logins to abuse children in care homes in the 1980's. He was jailed yesterday for 20 years.
A 57 year-old man who used to be a social worker in Nottingham has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for abusing children in his care in the 1980's.
Andris Logins was found guilty of 4 counts of rape, 12 of indecent assaults and one of cruelty at Beechwood Children's Home by unanimous decision at Nottingham Crown Court on Monday (21st March).
Logins is the first former employee of a children's home to be convicted as part of Operation Daybreak.
Detective Inspector Rob McKinnell said:
“Logins was employed to look after some of the most vulnerable children in Nottinghamshire. He was expected not just to be a carer, but a protector and a role model too for young people who had endured very difficult early lives. Some had already suffered abuse at home.
"Those victims have spoken of the trust they placed in him at a time when they needed adults they could trust and rely upon. One even spoke of seeing Logins as a friend.
“Despite being given a position of such great trust and responsibility, not just by his employers but by the children themselves, he exploited at least three young people for his own sexual gratification and inflicted violence upon at least one.”
He added: “Victims have told us that life at Beechwood at that time was, to use their words, ‘brutal’. Without going over the harrowing detail of how these victims were abused, it is sufficient to say that Logins took advantage of their vulnerability and used it not only to abuse them but to also buy their silence.
“For too many years the victims of Logins’ abuse have felt that no one would believe them – their families, their friends, the local authority and even the police.
“I hope that this case and this verdict demonstrates that victims are being heard and they are being believed, while their abusers are at long last facing the consequences of crimes they perhaps thought they had got away with.”