On Air Now
Capital Breakfast with Dino, Pete & Tyles 6am - 10am
1 April 2014, 07:19 | Updated: 30 March 2016, 13:50
A two-year-old boy from Leicestershire has been given a bravery award for dialing 999 when his mum collapsed at their home.
East Midlands Ambulance Service says Riley Ward saved his mum's life after she fell ill at their home in Barrow-upon-Soar.
The 27-year-old, who lives with her partner Rob Ward, said:
'Rob was just as surprised as I was when we realised Riley had dialled 999, we had drilled it into both of our children since they were old enough to understand numbers. They know that if mummy and daddy are poorly and they can't wake us up they should dial 999.
'It made me really proud that Riley knew what to do, we knew he remembered 999 but were so shocked that he was able to put it into action.
'He is mummy's little hero.'
Paul Staples, who was the first paramedic to arrive at the house, said:
'When control radio come through and tell you a child has dialled 999 you are immediately concerned for both the child and the patient.
'When I got to Dana's house Riley was stood at the door with a big smile, I think he was excited that he had a police officer and a paramedic in his house.
'He was really interested in all of my equipment and kept coming back to check on his mummy.'