Man Cleared Of Being Part Of Alleged Robbery Which Killed Birmingham Businessman
30 August 2016, 18:13 | Updated: 30 August 2016, 18:20
One man's been cleared of being part of alleged botched robbery which saw a Birmingham businessman shot and killed.
A jury was directed by a judge to find Asif Aurangzaib not guilty part-way through what was initially a trial of three men over the botched robbery of a fast food supplies warehouse in Birmingham on February 3.
Aurangzaib, of Leacroft Road in Derby, was cleared on Tuesday of any part in the armed raid by masked gunmen on the Direct Source 3 premises in the city's Digbeth area.
Judge Philip Parker told jurors he had decided there was "insufficient evidence'' against the 25-year-old, and he was duly found not guilty of conspiring to rob the warehouse.
Two other men are still on trial accused of murdering warehouse business owner Akhtar Javeed, 56.
Suraj Mistry, who the Crown have said was one of two gunmen, and Lemar Wali, who is alleged to have been the getaway driver, deny murder, conspiracy to rob the warehouse and two counts each of possession of a pistol with intent to cause fear or violence.
A third man, Tahir Zarif of Osmaston Road in Derby, is said to have "played a central role'' by the prosecution, with the Crown's barrister alleging it was he who shot Mr Javeed as he tried to flee the scene.
At the start of the Birmingham Crown Court trial earlier this month, the jury were told Zarif was believed to have fled to Pakistan.
Mistry, of Laundon Way in Leicester, and Zarif owned a ran a bodyshop in Derby called ATS Detailing and Wrap, while Wali, of Osmaston Park Road, Derby, knew both men.
Meanwhile, jurors have been told by the prosecution that "inside man'' Sander van Aalten of Kyrwicks Lane, Birmingham, has already admitted conspiracy to rob the warehouse.
The trial continues.