Fresh CCTV Eight Years After Erdington Murder

22 November 2016, 08:20

David Weaver - Erdington Murder

Police have released fresh CCTV footage eight years after a man died after being attacked outside a pub in Erdington.

David Weaver, had been at a memorial event for a family member at the Hare and Hounds on Marsh Hill, Erdington exactly eight years ago today (November 22) when a fight broke out, spilling onto the street.

A short while later David was found close by with severe head injuries. He remained in hospital for five months before he died aged 45.

Officers investigating the brutal assault took over 100 statements and viewed hours of CCTV footage but no-one has ever been brought to justice.

Now detectives from the cold case review team have re-examined the evidence and are once again appealing for witnesses to come forward.

Detective Superintendent Nick Walton, the lead investigator in the original enquiry, said: "We faced a great reluctance from members of the public at the event that night to tell us what had happened.

"Although we took a large number of statements and made two arrests, we were not able to find David’s killer.

"We are hoping that now, eight years on, people have moved on in their lives and maybe there was something they were not able to reveal back then, but might be able to tell us now. They can speak to us in confidence and there are measures in place that we can adopt to protect people’s identity.

"Even if you spoke to us back then, our cold case review team would like to hear from you again."

David Weaver was a family man, with a daughter. His mother died two years ago without knowing who killed her son. Now David’s four sisters and his brother are joining the police in a bid to flush the culprit out.

David’s sister Carol Weaver said: "Someone knows who did this to my brother and I am asking them to search their conscience and do the right thing and come forward.

"It has been eight years since we lost David. He never regained consciousness in hospital so he was unable to tell us what happened that night.

"We have lost not only a brother, David was a soulmate to all of his sisters, he was our rock in times of need and we miss him beyond words."

David’s daughter Toni said: "We all need justice for my dad and for the six months he suffered, my heart was breaking seeing him every day, knowing he would never be the same, and he never was, because he never survived.

"He gave a real battle for six months, he never lived a normal life again, he suffered so much, never spoke or got out of his hospital bed, never ate, basically lived in bed brain damaged."

Anyone with information should contact DC Allan Jones in the Cold Case Review Team on 101.

Crimestoppers can be called anonymously on 0800 555 111.