Reward For Murder Info Doubled

26 August 2012, 08:08 | Updated: 30 March 2016, 13:50

A reward for information to catch two men wanted in connection with the murder of David Short in Greater Manchester's been doubled to £50,000.

The reward is the largest offered by Greater Manchester Police and will be made payable to anyone who provides anonymous information leading to the arrest of Dale Cregan and Anthony Wilkinson.

29 year old Cregan from Droylsden, and 33 year old Wilkinson from Beswick, are wanted in connection with the two attacks on Friday 10th August 2012, during which David Short was killed.

At 10.30am, the body of 46 year old David, was found at a house on Folkestone Road East in Clayton after police were called there following reports of gunshots.

There had also been an explosion at the address, which was caused by a grenade.

Less than ten minutes later, shots were fired and there was another grenade explosion outside a house on Luke Road in Droylsden. No-one was injured during this incident.

Several hundred officers and staff are involved in the large-scale policing operation, including units such as firearms, tactical aid, Major Incident Team, dogs section, Serious and Organised Crime, as well as divisional officers and dedicated CCTV officers trawling through hundreds of hours of CCTV footage.

Specialist armed patrols are being carried out day and night in the Clayton and Droylsden areas and a number of police forces from around the country are providing officers and support, to ensure the operation can continue to run round-the-clock without impacting on normal police business.

Assistant Chief Constable Garry Shewan said:
"The £50,000 reward is the largest sum of money GMP has ever offered for information leading to the arrest of any individuals.

This amount of money will allow the recipient to not only change their own lives forever, but to provide long-term financial security for their whole family.

Somebody in the communities of Manchester know where Cregan and Wilkinson are hiding and we are urging these people direct to do the right thing.

It is highly unusual to offer such a large sum, but we understand people are worried about their safety when providing information to the police. That is why the information can be given anonymously through Crimestoppers.

We are now entering the third week of this operation and we understand that people will be impatient for results.

As a result we continue to investigate this round-the-clock and continue to have firearms officers patrolling the streets. I hope that people can also feel reassured by their presence.

This ongoing operation will continue to work at this level of intensity for the foreseeable future, until we have located the two men we want to speak to in connection with the two attacks and the death of David Short."

Three men, aged 25, 28 and 37, who were arrested on suspicion of murder have been bailed until October 2012 pending further inquiries.

Another man, Jermaine Anton Ward, arrested on suspicion of murder on Friday 24th August 2012 has been charged with murder and attempted murder.

He's due to appear before Manchester City Magistrates Court on Monday 27th August 2012.

One other man was arrested on suspicion of murder yesterday and has since been released without charge.

Anyone with information they wish to pass to police in relation to this investigation is asked to call police at the Major Incident Team on 0161 856 3301 or 101, or call the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111