Policewoman Out Of ICU After Hit & Run

25 October 2016, 16:19 | Updated: 25 October 2016, 16:20


A female police officer seriously injured alongside her colleague when a car was deliberately driven at them in a hit-and-run has been moved out of intensive care.

The officers were targeted as they responded to a call in the Knightswood area of Glasgow on Sunday night.

Both were rushed to hospital, with the 30-year-old female officer treated in intensive care.

Police Scotland confirmed she has now left the unit but is still recovering in hospital along with her 31-year-old male colleague.

The force has thanked the public for messages of support, including some from as far afield as the US.

The two officers had been called out to Banner Drive at around 11.15pm on Sunday and had stopped a blue Nissan Qashqai to speak to the occupants.

The car then deliberately reversed and struck both officers.

It was later found burned out in the Scotstoun area of the city, and police have confirmed it was stolen.

A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: "Forensic officers are carrying out a detailed examination of the blue Nissan Qashqai. Officers have now confirmed that the car was stolen.

"Detectives are also scrutinising CCTV footage for any additional information which could assist the ongoing investigation.

"The wellbeing and welfare of officers is paramount and Police Scotland can confirm both officers are recovering and the female officer is now out of ICU.

"Officers from the Greater Glasgow division and throughout Police Scotland wish both officers a speedy recovery. Members of the public are also thanked for their messages of support and good wishes for the officers, some of which have come from as far afield as the United States.

"If anyone has any information or knowledge about this incident or the suspects, please contact the inquiry team at Drumchapel police office via 101. Alternatively, please call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, where information can be given anonymously.''

On Monday, a damaged police car was removed from Banner Drive on a recovery vehicle as officers investigated the scene.

The Scottish Police Federation, which represents rank and file officers, described the attack as a "despicable and cowardly act'', and also claimed Police Scotland did not inform it of the incident until almost 12 hours later and questioned why a media appeal was not released more quickly.

Assistant Chief Constable Wayne Mawson said the federation was notified of the incident before 9am on Monday.

He said: ''The welfare and wellbeing of the officers are of paramount importance to Police Scotland and a senior officer visited both officers in hospital.

''It is important to ensure that the facts are fully established around any incident so we can provide accurate information for an appeal to the public. As soon as we were notified of the incident an investigation was launched by detectives in Glasgow and efforts were made to inform next of kin.

''An appeal to the public was part of the investigative strategy.

"The facts were established and a release was drawn up and issued to media outlets following clearance processes. Police Scotland will continue to liaise with the Scottish Police Federation.''