Premium Rate Phone and Text on Capital FM
PREMIUM RATE TEXT ON CAPITAL
If your messages aren’t sending, you haven’t received a confirmation message after texting us, you received your confirmation after the text lines closed, or you have another question about our Premium Rate text services, please read on…
What is Premium Rate?
Premium Rate services are those for which you are charged through your monthly phone bill or through credit on your mobile phone. These services tend to cost more than a normal phone call or text message.
How do I know if a number is Premium Rate?
Premium Rate services are accessed by sending a text from your mobile phone to a 5 digit number called a shortcode like Capital’s on 83958. Not all services running on a shortcode are Premium Rate, for example if you text our studio this wouldn’t be Premium Rate. We will tell you if there is a charge associated with a specific service.
What kind of Premium Rate services do Global provide?
- Competitions or voting by text
- Charity competitions with a delayed donation
- Charity text donations
What does ‘standard network rate’ mean?
We know and will always tell you how much we’re charging you to text us. What we don’t know is how much your phone service provider is also charging you. That depends on the telephone company and what kind of deal you have with them. That’s why you’ll hear us say that you will be charged your ‘standard network rate’.
Every time you send a text, you pay your phone network a fee for doing so. These vary from network to network and may also vary depending on the number you’re sending a text to (some networks, for example, may charge less to text someone on the same network than they do for texting someone on a different network). This is known as a ‘standard network rate’ and is typically between 10p and 15p. The cost we tell you about is what you pay in addition to whatever charge your network applies. So, for example, if your competition entry costs £1.50 and your network also charges you 10p per text, then you’ll actually pay £1.60. This should appear on your bill as two separate texts, one that you’ve sent to us charged at 10p and another that you’ve received back from us charged at £1.50.
In the case of shortcode and premium rate services, texts sent at standard network rate are not usually included in any bundles you may have as part of your deal with your phone companies and will generally incur a charge, even if you have unlimited texts included in your contract. The charges we tell you about on air are inclusive of VAT, but on some bills, the VAT may be displayed separately.
There are too many networks and too many different pricing packages, changing too frequently for us to keep up with them and read them out on air, or even put them on our website. That’s why we say “standard network rate”, so that you know that your phone company may impose an additional cost on top of what we’ve told you you’ll pay for the text. If you want to know what the network charge will be for your phone, you should contact your phone service provider.
Why are my messages not sending?
If messages are not leaving your handset, then they haven’t reached us and won’t be included in the draw to win. This may be because you’ve exceeded a monthly spending cap on your phone bill, you might have a Premium Rate block applied to your phone number, or if you’re on pay-as-you-go, you might have insufficient funds. This isn’t something we’re able to affect, so you’ll need to contact your mobile phone network, and they will be able to advise you further
My text sent, but I did not receive a confirmation message back
There may be an issue with your network account, or some latency could have delayed your message in reaching us. Contact your mobile phone network in the first instance, and if they’re unable to resolve it then contact us using the details below.
I didn’t receive a confirmation message until after the text lines closed. Have I still been included in the draw?
Sometimes, when we experience a higher-than-normal volume of traffic, it can take longer than usual to process and send out our response messages, so if you receive a confirmation message after the lines closed, that entry was still included in the draw.
My phone bill says I’ve been charged for a subscription service. How can I unsubscribe / cancel?
None of our services are subscription-based, so you’ll only ever be charged when you enter our competitions. If your mobile phone network tells you that we’ve charged you on a subscription basis, then please double-check with them, as the charges are likely to have come from a different organisation. You can also use the number-checker at www.psauthority.org.uk/for-consumers/service-checker
Someone else used my phone to enter a competition – what can I do?
If you allow others to have access to your phone, including children, you are responsible for its usage, so the charges won’t be refundable. To prevent this happening in the future you can contact your phone network to request a Premium Rate block.
Do I have to write the text message in capital letters?
You can write the message in lower or upper case, or a mixture of both – it doesn’t make any difference.
How do you select your competition winners?
We use an automated computer system driven by an algorithm that selects winners from all the entries received at random. Entrants are randomly selected irrespective of any other factors such as whether they’ve entered before or for the first time, geographic location, gender or any other information beyond the mobile numbers from which the entries are sent.
Can I access Premium Rate Services from abroad?
Premium Rate services will not work if you are calling or texting from outside of the UK. Unfortunately, if you are on holiday or away on business, you will not be able to interact with our stations.
Our Premium Rate Promise
Our aim is to entertain you. We know – because you’ve told us – that you love the competitions we run, and you enjoy listening to and taking part in them. We want to keep it that way. That’s why we’re making these promises:
- Whenever you text us on a Premium Rate number, we’ll make sure you know how much you’ll be charged for it.
- When we’ve told you how much a text will cost, that’s what it will cost. There are always going to be some small variations in cost depending on who your phone network is and the deal you’ve got with them (we’ve explained more about that above), but you should still be able to look at your bill and identify the text.
- When we stop accepting entries to a Premium Rate service, we’ll tell you not to text any more. If you still try to text, you may get billed for it and there’s nothing we can do about that. You’ll need to listen closer next time!
- We will never sell your personal information to other companies. We may, from time to time send you text messages or email communications with offers or services that may be relevant to you if you have opted in to our Text Club, but these communications will always come from Capital. You will never be charged for receiving these messages and can opt out of receiving them in future by replying with the word STOP.
- If you’re still not sure, you can find the full terms and conditions that are applicable to all of our competitions displayed on our website.
What if I have a query about your Premium Rate Services?
If you think there is a problem with our Premium Rate services or would like to make a complaint, please call our customer service team at:
Alternatively, you can call us on 0333 200 2000 during office hours. Calls to 03 numbers are charged at the same rate as calls to 01 and 02 numbers and count towards inclusive call allowances on landlines and on mobile phones. Global Radio Services Ltd do not make any profit from calls to this number.
Regulation of Premium Rate
Global Radio Services Limited, the parent company of Capital, is registered with the Premium Rate Services regulator, Phone-paid Services Authority. Our registration number is: ORG832-96388-41101.
Global Charities, a registered charity in England & Wales (1091657) & Scotland (SC041475) is registered with Phone-paid Services Authority under registration number: ORG832-96388-41101
We hope that we’ve explained how premium rate charges work and reassured you that the way we use them is fair and transparent. We also hope that you will continue to enjoy listening to and participating in our features and competitions. If you have any questions or concerns, we want to hear them. Please feel free to get in touch.
For even more chances to win, sign up here for exclusive competitions, offers and a free entry into our monthly £500 draw.
SMS Marketing & £500 monthly draw T&Cs
1. The following rules (“Specific Rules”) together with the general competition terms and conditions (which can be found at https://www.capitalfm.com/terms-conditions/competition/ (the “Competition Terms and Conditions”) of Global apply to our SMS marketing & £500 monthly draw between 26th April 2018 and 31st March 2020.
2. Anyone who enters the Competition (an “Entrant”) will be deemed to have read and accepted the Specific Rules and the Competition Terms and Conditions and will be bound by them.
3. To opt in to receive SMS alerts for live text competitions, and to be entered into the monthly £500 draw, text JOIN to 83958. Standard network rates apply.
4. By providing your mobile number you are agreeing to receiving SMS marketing from Global, and any of its subsidiaries. We will only ever send you alerts and offers that are relevant and we feel that you will benefit from and be interested in.
5. At times, we will send you alerts with information around some of our premium rate competitions. These are for your information only and we leave it up to you to decide whether you would like to enter. We will always make clear the cost of entry for every competition.
6. We will never sell your personal information to third parties.
7. By opting in, you will be automatically entered into a draw each month to win £500 cash across the Global network. You do not need to do anything else after you have joined, and you will be automatically entered each month until you opt out of the service. The draw will take place on the first business day of each calendar month and we will contact the winner by phone within 28 days.
8. You will never be charged for receiving these messages and can opt out of receiving them at any time by texting the word STOP to 83958. This will be charged at your standard network rate.
9. For the avoidance of doubt, by opting out of receiving SMS marketing, you will also be choosing to opt out of the £500 monthly draw.
10. Entrants must be 18 years of age or over.
11. Entrants must have a bank account, as the prize will be paid via cheque or bank transfer.
12. The prize is a cash prize of £500 paid by either cheque or Bank Transfer.
13. The prize is non-transferrable.
14. Global reserves the right to change the prize or part of it at any time.
SP: Global Radio Services Ltd, 30 WC2H 7LA. If you are having problems using our text entry service please have a look at our FAQs or alternatively contact our customer helpline on 0333 200 2000.