Man shot dead in Airdrie was fighting addiction

13 September 2018, 16:26 | Updated: 13 September 2018, 16:29

fatal shooting

A man who was gunned down in front of children was fighting addiction at the time of his murder, his sister has said.

Gary More suffered "significant injuries" after a number of shots were fired at him in Gartness Drive, Airdrie, at about 8.10pm on Thursday September 6.

Police and ambulance crews rushed to the busy residential area in North Lanarkshire but the 32-year-old died at the scene.

His sister Lynsey More said: "It's hard to find the words to describe the devastation we have experienced as a family losing Gary - he was a son, brother, father and uncle.

"Life for all of us will never be the same again without Gary in it.

"He was my wee brother and as his big sister, I always felt it was my job to look after him.

"Addiction touches so many families and ours was no different. Gary was dealing with his own issues but he was trying to help other people at the same time.

"He used fitness as a way to help him through some difficult times and he encouraged and helped other people to do the same."

She added: "Gary had made a lot of progress recently and I was proud of the way he had been focusing on his training and building up his fitness classes at his gym.

"I was at one of his yoga classes on Tuesday night never knowing that the next time I seen him he would be dying in my arms.

"I pray that no other family has to go through this experience but unfortunately things like this seem to be happening more and more, and we all sit thinking it will never happen to us.

"Please don't let another family suffer the way are have - if you know anything, tell the police."

The suspect is believed to have got into a white Skoda Fabia which sped off with a number of people inside.

The same model and colour of car was later found burnt-out near Craigmaddie Road in Balmore, Milngavie, East Dunbartonshire, and is being examined by forensic teams.

Police Scotland said enquiries have established the car was stolen on August 2 from the Pollokshields area of Glasgow.

Its original registration was SH13 UMG but it may have had other plates fitted.

Detectives are appealing for any information on the whereabouts of the car between August 2 and September 6.

The response from the public was previously described as "very poor", despite there being children and other people present at the time of the shooting.

Drivers are also being asked for any sightings between 7pm and 11pm on Thursday.