Greenpeace ends oil rig standoff

20 June 2019, 16:30

Oil Rig North Sea

Greenpeace has ended a 12-day standoff with BP over the installation of a North Sea oil rig.

The Transocean rig was bound for the Vorlich oil field when it was occupied by activists in the Cromarty Firth, north of Inverness, on June 9.

Greenpeace ship Arctic Sunrise shadowed the rig and prevented it from reaching the oil field for a time, the group said.

Campaigners are demanding BP ends drilling new wells and switches to investing in renewable energy only.

The energy giant condemned the "reckless" attempts by protesters to interfere with the rig.

John Sauven, executive director at Greenpeace UK, said: "For the past 12 days we've seen what one Greenpeace ship and a handful of dedicated activists can achieve in the face of a giant climate-wrecking company.

"But they weren't alone. There's a movement of millions calling on companies like BP to clean up their act and truly address the climate emergency."

Police Scotland said a report has been submitted to the procurator fiscal in connection with alleged offences under the Petroleum Act 1987 following an incident near the Transocean installation the Paul B Loyd Jnr on Sunday June 16.

Gareth Wynn, Oil and Gas UK stakeholder and communications director, said: "There are no winners as a result of this stunt, which both put safety at risk and failed to produce any solutions to how we can achieve the net-zero future we all want to see.

"The arguments from Greenpeace are fundamentally flawed and sadly fail to recognise the reality that prematurely shutting down the North Sea will only reduce the UK's reliance on imports from across the world."

He added: "We live in a world with ever-growing demand for energy, which at the same time needs an ever-reducing carbon footprint.

"Our industry is committed to help find practical solutions to one of the biggest challenges we will face.

"It's time for deeds not words and we'd encourage anyone with a serious interest to work with us."