Coroner Rejects Appeal In AM's Inquest
10 July 2019, 19:05 | Updated: 10 July 2019, 19:10
He'd been sacked from his role at the Welsh Government following claims of inappropriate behaviour towards women.
A coroner has rejected an application by lawyers for the former Welsh first minister to hear evidence about allegations of sexual misconduct by politician Carl Sargeant at his inquest.
Alyn and Deeside AM Mr Sargeant, 49, was found ht his home in Connah's Quay on November 7 2017, four days after he was sacked from his job as cabinet secretary for communities and children.
At the inquest into his death on Wednesday, Cathryn McGahey QC, representing former first minister Carwyn Jones, made an application to call evidence from former Flintshire County Council leader Aaron Shotton which may have contradicted evidence given by Mr Sargeant's wife Bernie on Tuesday.
The lawyer said: "The reason for his application arises from evidence given by Mrs Sargeant yesterday.
Our submission is that evidence may not have been complete or fully accurate."
Senior coroner for North Wales (East and Central) John Gittins rejected the application and said it was "tactical" and designed to get round a previously rejected application to call Mr Shotton's statement.
An appeal against the coroner's earlier ruling not to allow that evidence, which included text messages relating to the behaviour of Mr Sargeant, was rejected by the High Court earlier this year.
Mr Gittins said: "Calling the witness is a further bite of that same cherry."
The court was adjourned until midday on Thursday when the coroner was expected to return his judgment.