UPDATE: Man Found Injured On A66 In Middlesbrough Is Concious

14 March 2014, 17:03 | Updated: 30 March 2016, 13:50

A man found wandering beside a dual carriageway in Middlesbrough after having his penis severed has come out of a coma and is conscious.

The A66 in Middlesbrough was closed to allow a detailed search of the area after the 40-year-old was discovered in a distressed state.

He was taken to hospital and has since come out of an induced coma, but officers trying to establish how he came to be so badly injured have not yet been able to interview him.

It is believed this is because of the strong painkillers the man has been given.

A Cleveland Police spokeswoman said:
"The man who was found on the A66 near South Bank with serious injuries to his groin area remains in hospital and is now conscious.

Officers have visited him in hospital but were unable to carry out a detailed interview.

They hope to speak to him later in a bid to establish exactly how he came by his injuries.

Inquiries are ongoing and police would welcome any information which could help with their investigation. Please contact Cleveland Police on 101.''

The incident is believed to be linked to a travellers' site at South Bank.

A 22-year-old man was held by police for questioning on suspicion of assault and was later bailed pending further inquiries. 


UPDATED 13th March 2014, 16:30

The A66 near Middlesbrough had to be closed by police as they searched for the severed penis of man who was found severely injured

The 40-year-old was discovered in a distressed way on the A66 near Grangetown at 4.50am this morning.

Officers were called to the scene and found the man with "wounds to his groin area'' and as a result he was taken to hospital.

A section of the road was then closed off as it is believed officers were searching for his missing penis.

A 22-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of assault and is in police custody.

A Cleveland Police spokesman said:
"Police can confirm that the man found this morning on the A66 had wounds to his groin area.

A 22-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of assault and is currently in police custody.

Officers are continuing to investigate and are appealing for anyone with information to contact them on the non-emergency number 101.'' 

The road closure has since been lifted.