On Air Now
The Capital Weekender with Charlie Powell 1:30am - 5am
2 April 2013, 13:35 | Updated: 30 March 2016, 13:50
A terminal at Manchester Airport was evacuated for four hours after a bomb scare was triggered by a bottle of contact lens fluid.
The alarm was raised at Terminal 1 when a baggage scanner flagged up a suspicious image which later turned out to be the solution tightly packed next to a mobile phone.
The terminal was cleared at about 8.15am on Monday and didn't reopen until 12.15pm after the package was declared safe by bomb disposal experts.
The security alert led to about 10 flights being delayed.
An airport spokesman said: "While the disruption was not welcome on a busy Easter weekend, we will never take a risk with passenger safety.
"Working closely with the police, Terminal 1 was evacuated and specialist officers were able to conduct further investigations.
"We thank passengers for their patience while our staff were working hard to return the operation to its normal schedule.''
A spokeswoman for Greater Manchester Police said: "Greater Manchester Police were informed that a possible suspicious package had been found by security staff at Terminal One of Manchester Airport.
"As a precaution, the Explosive Ordnance Disposal team (EOD) were called and a temporary cordon set up which caused some disruption to passengers using that terminal.
"At about midday, the EOD confirmed it was not a viable explosive device, that there was no threat to any passengers and the terminal was reopened.
"Other areas of the airport were unaffected.''