On Air Now
The Capital Late Show with Marvin Humes 10pm - 1am
16 June 2011, 12:26 | Updated: 30 March 2016, 13:50
Police in Salford are warning people of the dangers of electricity sub stations after a man was left badly burned.
Shortly before 5am today, emergency services were called to a sub station on Rake Lane, Clifton, following reports a man had been electrocuted, he was allegedly trying to steal copper cable.
Ambulance crews and police officers arrived to find a 45-year-old man badly burned.
He was taken to Wythenshawe hospital suffering from bad burns to his face, neck, hands and knees. He is currently in a stable condition.
A second man, aged 50, was arrested nearby on suspicion of theft and remains in custody for questioning.
Detective Sergeant Rachel Smith, of Swinton CID, said:
'This man has suffered terrible, potentially life changing injuries as a result of his reckless behaviour.
'Obviously we are deeply concerned about this man's injuries and we hope he can make a recovery.
'However, we once again must stress the life-threatening dangers of tampering with electricity sub stations.
'Stealing cable or wiring may seem easy money to some parts of the criminal community, but, as this case shows, the consequences can be absolutely terrible.
'This is not the first time someone has diced with death to steal a few pounds worth of cable, but the time has come for people to realise it is simply not worth the risk.'