Eight North West Men Await Sentence Plea Outcome

They include two Cheshire men who were given four-year terms for setting up Facebook pages inciting others to riot.

The decision on whether the sentences should be cut will be announced by the Lord Chief Justice, Lord Judge, sitting at the Court of Appeal in London with Sir John Thomas and Lord Justice Leveson.

Lawyers for Jordan Blackshaw, 21, of Northwich, and Perry Sutcliffe-Keenan, 22, of Warrington, both Cheshire, who were given custodial sentences in the Facebook cases, told the court at a hearing last month that what their clients had done was ``monumentally foolish'', ``hugely stupid'' and ``hugely shortsighted''.

But they urged the three judges to rule that their sentences were ``too long''.

Blackshaw and Sutcliffe-Keenan pleaded guilty to encouraging others to commit crime - riot, burglary and criminal damage in the case of Blackshaw and riot in the case of Sutcliffe-Keenan.

Lawyers representing the other eight, who were sentenced for burglary or handling offences, argued that their terms were ``manifestly excessive''.

The other eight cases are as follows:

:: Hassan Halloway, 39, of Bennett Street, Crumpsall, was jailed for four years and eight months at Manchester Crown Court after admitting burglary charges and violent disorder.

:: Chef Enrico Vanasco, 25, who took a #300 camera from Jessops, was jailed for 20 months at Manchester Crown Court after admitting burglary.

:: Michael Gillespie-Doyle, now 19, from Openshaw, admitted burglary at Sainsbury's in Deansgate in Manchester city centre and was sentenced at Manchester Crown Court to two years in a young offenders' institution.

:: Stephen Craven, 24, of Pendleton, was jailed for 12 months, also at Manchester, after pleading guilty to handling stolen goods.

:: David Beswick, 31, a coach driver of Anson Street, Eccles, was jailed for 18 months at Manchester Crown Court for handling stolen goods.

:: Stephen Carter, 26, of James Street, Salford, who was caught with a bag of clothes and shoes worth #500, was sentenced at Manchester Crown Court to 16 months for theft by finding.