Man jailed for Maya bar killing

3 September 2018, 16:26 | Updated: 3 September 2018, 16:31

Liverpool Crown Court

Police welcomed the sentencing of a man for the manslaughter of Anthony Condron in Liverpool City Centre.

29-year-old Anthony from Huyton died in hospital shortly after he was assaulted in Maya Bar on Wood Street at around 1am on Saturday, 3 February 2018. 

Paul Byrne, 23, of Ribbledale Road, Mossley Hill admitted manslaughter on Friday, 22 June and was sentenced today to six years in prison. 

A second man, Joseph Booth, 25 of Ashbourne Road, Aigburth, was found guilty of causing GBH to Mr Condron’s friend, and was sentenced to 16 months in prison on Wednesday, 15 August, following a trial. 

A third man arrested in connection with the incident was acquitted following a trial. 

Anthony had been on a night out with his girlfriend and friends when he became involved in an altercation in Maya Bar. He was assaulted by Byrne causing him to fall to the floor unconscious. 

The three men were removed from the bar by security and were all arrested on Saturday evening. 

Detective Inspector Elaine Coulter who led the investigation, said: "Although nothing can relieve the pain of the loss of Anthony, I hope today’s sentencing will bring some kind of justice and closure for his family, who have shown such strength and dignity through a time which has so deeply affected all of their lives. 

The actions of Byrne that night serve as a stark reminder of the devastation that can be caused by senseless violence on a night out. Anthony was simply enjoying a night out which tragically resulted in the loss of a much loved son, boyfriend, brother and friend. 

"I would like to pay tribute to the way that Anthony's family have supported each other and the police investigation and would like to thank all members of staff involved in bringing the offender/s to justice. 

“I hope this incident makes anyone else think twice before using violence on the streets. Rest assured this reckless behaviour will not be tolerated by Merseyside Police.” 

The family of Anthony said: “Anthony's family would like to thank the Merseyside police for their dedication and support throughout this process; in particular our family liaison officers Dc Jan McGrath and DC Julie Bolton; and DI Elaine Coulter and her team from the Major Crime Unit. The Police individually and as a Unit have worked tirelessly with often long hours to provide a level of support way beyond our expectations. 

“We would also like to extend our thanks to Mr McDermott QC and his legal team. 

“We would now ask for our privacy to be respected as we turn to the task of rebuilding our lives and honouring Anthony's memory.”