On Air Now
Capital Breakfast with Roman Kemp 6am - 10am
7 June 2013, 08:51 | Updated: 30 March 2016, 13:50
Police have told Capital that after 10 hours of negotiations an armed siege in Leicestershire has ended safely.
Officers were called at 5.11 pm yesterday (Thursday 6th June 2013) following reports that a firearm had been discharged in the garden of a property on Manston Close in Leicester.
When firearms officers arrived at the scene a man had locked himself into the property. In the interests of public safety people living in local properties were asked to stay indoors and the road was closed to traffic.
Specialist officers dealt with the situation and, after protracted and sensitive negotiations, a thirty seven year old man came out of the property at 3.04am and was arrested on suspicion of making threats to kill. A number of shots, believed to be from an air rifle, were fired at officers during the incident.
No one else was in the property during the negotiations and the man has received minor medical treatment.
Superintendent Jez Cotrrill said; “Situations like this are thankfully rare but I know some residents have had a disrupted night. I would like to thank everyone living near the property for their patience and support during the lengthy negotiations. It has been a very long night for some officers who have all acted with the greatest professionalism. A thirty seven year old man is currently safely in custody at Keyham Lane police station and no one else has been hurt during the incident. ”
Extra patrols will be put in place this morning (Friday 7th June) to reassure local residents.