York Woman Badly Burned Decanting Fuel

30 March 2012, 11:36

A woman from York has been badly burned when petrol ignited as she transferred it between containers in her kitchen.

The woman was decanting fuel from one container to another in her house in Acomb when it ignited and set fire to her clothing.

North Yorkshire Fire Service say the woman in her forties was cooking at the time and trying to decant the fuel using a jug.

She was taken to Pinderfields hospital with 40% burns to her entire body.

The fire service are warning people not to store petrol in their homes.

Peter Hudson, of North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: ``Members of the public should take extreme care when handling and storing petrol and be aware of the risks associated with incorrect use and storage of fuel.

``In domestic situations fuel containers must not be stored in living accommodation such as kitchens, living rooms and bedrooms or under staircases.

He continued: ``Never bring petrol inside your home. If you do smell petrol fumes in a garage or outbuilding ventilate the area and make sure nobody smokes or turns electrical switches on or off. The slightest spark could cause an explosion.''

Santa wages

Those People Who Dress Up As Santa In Shops At Christmas Time Probably Earn More Than Most Of Us

Snapchat Accounts Ariana Kim K Rita Ora

80+ Of The Biggest Celebrities You Really NEED To Add On Snapchat Today

Capital Metadata - Capital App March 2017

Want To Control The Music On Capital? Now You Can With Our New App - My Capital!