On Air Now
The Capital Weekender With Ministry of Sound 10pm - 6am
30 September 2012, 09:28
The search for a British woman who fell overboard from a Southampton-based cruise ship in the Mediterranean has been called off after rescuers recovered a body.
The passenger was reported missing on the Aurora as it sailed from the Portuguese city of Oporto to Barcelona on Friday, P&O Cruises said.
The ship's crew were alerted and ordered an immediate search for the woman, who has not yet been named.
Authorities and P&O Cruises' care team are now providing assistance for the woman's family, the cruise operator said.
It is understood that passengers were informed of the discovery of the body through an announcement from the ship's captain, Ian Hutley.
A statement from P&O Cruises said: "Our care team is supporting the family and offering assistance.''
The Aurora left Southampton for a 14-night western Mediterranean cruise on Wednesday. P&O Cruises confirmed that all passengers on board were British.
Pat Rodgers, who is on board the Aurora with her husband, Joseph, said the woman was believed to be in her 70s and on holiday with her daughter.
Mrs Rodgers, 70, from Sheffield, said the water had been 'very choppy' and fellow passengers were 'sad and subdued'.
She said that planes an helicopters circled overhead to assist lifeboats in the search.
Mrs Rodgers said last night: "The captain made an announcement over the loudspeaker at 8.10am this morning (Saturday) and asked everyone to help keep a lookout.
"We heard that the woman is 72 and was on holiday with her daughter but we don't know how she fell in."