Subeme La Radio Enrique Iglesias Feat. Matt Terry & Sean Download 'Subeme La Radio' on iTunes
Horse sedated after getting trapped in its horse box at Sparsholt College Equine Centre at Garston Farm.
Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service are now questioning the safety of rear facing horseboxes. The incident happened at 09:14 on Sunday [21 August]. Crews were told a 15.2 hands, five year old Oldenburg mare had become trapped in her rear-facing horse box.
The horse had to be heavily sedated whilst fire crews under the advice of a Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service Animal Rescue Specialist and local vets cut a fixed partition away to allow the horse to be able to be guided to safety.
Animal Rescue Specialist Watch Manager Anton Phillips explained:
"We were lucky to have the immediate services of local vets so the animal could be sedated and quickly released. We have concerns as we are being mobilised to a disproportionate number of incidents involving this design of horse box where the horse is getting trapped in this way. Having a large animal trapped in such a small compartment presents serious dangers to the horse and fire crews".
The incident was over by 10:26. A fire appliance from Winchester, multi role vehicle, animal rescue vehicle and a landrover from Eastleigh were also in attendance.
More information is available from the Hampshire Fire and Rescue service website