All I Want For Christmas Is You Mariah Carey
27 June 2016, 17:12
Two children remain in a serious condition in hospital after a theme park rollercoaster crashed 20ft off its tracks.
Ten people were initially taken to hospital after the Tsunami ride derailed and hit the ground at M&D's amusement park at Strathclyde Country Park, Motherwell, North Lanarkshire, on Sunday afternoon.
Two boys, aged 11 and 12, are in a serious condition at the Royal Hospital for Children in Glasgow, one with chest, abdominal and leg injuries and the other with arm and hand injuries.
In total, six others remain in hospital including a 19-year-old man with a knee injury, a 14-year-old girl with chest injuries and an 11-year-old boy with head and leg injuries.
Among those already discharged from hospital was a 25-year-old woman who was walking past the rollercoaster when the carriage plunged to the ground.
Police Scotland said she was checked over and released without any injuries.
Officers are now investigating the crash with the Health and Safety Executive and engineers are inspecting the Tsunami.
Detective Inspector John Malcolm said: "This is a really serious incident that has affected many people visiting the theme park and our thoughts go out to those who have been injured.
"We have now launched a joint investigation with the HSE and our priority is to find out the cause of the incident.
"I would ask that anyone who witnessed the incident or indeed, anyone who may have video footage or photographs to get in touch with the dedicated enquiry team on 101.''
HSE principal inspector Barry Baker said: "Our thoughts are with the children and adults who have been injured in this incident and I must give praise to the emergency services and members of the public who came to their aid so quickly yesterday.
"We have brought HSE specialists in mechanical engineering to the site this morning, to begin the process of finding out what caused the gondolas to come off the rails. HSE will work very closely with colleagues in the police as the investigation unfolds.''
M&D's said the Tsunami ride had been closed on Saturday due to a "minor electrical fault'' but was ``fully operational'' when the park opened on Sunday.
Director Douglas Taylor said: "Our thoughts are with the people who have been injured and their families. We hope everyone makes a full recovery.
"We're co-operating fully with the joint HSE and Police Scotland investigation. It would be inappropriate to speculate on the cause of the accident until the investigation is complete.
"Each and every ride within the theme park is safety-checked on a daily basis and undergoes a thorough independent inspection every 12 months. Tsunami had its annual independent safety inspection in early June 2016.
"My brother Matthew and I have been in business together for 50 years and this is the first incident of this type that we've ever been involved in.
"We are devastated as both a family and a business, and our heart goes out to everyone who has been affected by the accident.
"I would like to pay tribute to everyone who was on the scene, from our own staff to members of the public and, of course, the emergency services for their incredible response.''