Lorry Driver To Give Evidence In Inquiry
17 August 2015, 07:05
The driver of the bin lorry that crashed in Glasgow city centre killing six people is expected to begin giving evidence this week at an inquiry into the tragedy.
Harry Clarke, 58, was at the wheel of the vehicle when it went out of control on December 22 last year, with witnesses reporting that he appeared to lose consciousness at the wheel.
A Fatal Accident Inquiry (FAI) has heard that Mr Clarke has a history of health issues including fainting, dizziness and stress dating back to the 1970s and that he failed to disclose his health history to the DVLA and on job application forms.
The Crown Office last week said it would not prosecute Mr Clarke, while the DVLA has also said it will not be taking any action against him.
Sheriff John Beckett, who is hearing the inquiry at Glasgow Sheriff Court, has called on lawyers acting for the victims' families to indicate whether they will seek a private prosecution
Mr Clarke may begin giving evidence today or tomorrow.
Erin McQuade, 18, and her grandparents Jack Sweeney, 68, and Lorraine Sweeney, 69, from Dumbarton, died when they were hit by the runaway truck three days before Christmas.
Jacqueline Morton, 51, and Stephenie Tait, 29, both from Glasgow, and Gillian Ewing, 52, from Edinburgh, were also killed when the vehicle veered on to the pavement in Queen Street, eventually crashing into the Millennium Hotel in George Square.